Many people make the switch from analog phone or regular phone service to VoIP telephony service because of all the useful features of VoIP. VoIP is an advanced technology which has surpassed the mobile companies and the telephone company. Some people think that VoIP is lacking in some department, but it’s not true, VoIP not only provides a regular telephone feature, but it also provides lots of new features.
Salient features of VoIP are –
• Low Cost – You can easily make local, long distance and international PC-to-PC calls by using a high-speed broadband connection for free. However, if you want to make a PC-to-phone call then there is a charge for this, but it is cheaper than your regular phone service.
• Portability – It is another special feature of VoIP. If you are traveling then you can receive and make a call wherever, just by signing in to your VoIP account using a broadband connection or plugging your Internet phone into a broadband connection anywhere in the world.
• One can get the details of incoming call from any computer possessing the internet by using VoIP system.
• One can manage his VoIP account online from any corner of the world using a broadband connection.
• One can integrate VoIP with an existing phone connection.
• One can call or message or do both at the same time with VoIP services.
• There are also many value added services like:
• Caller ID Block – Using this feature we can hide our identity from showing up at the other phone.
• Anonymous Call Block – This feature is used to block the Caller ID blocked calls i.e. a caller who has turned on its Caller ID block feature, will not be able to reach you.
• Telemarketer Call Block – When VoIP phone detects an anonymous call coming from an automated dialing system, it sends a special “not in service” tone to it, which fools the system that your number is not in service.
• Do not Disturb – When this feature is turned on, it automatically diverts the incoming call to the voicemail without ringing your phone.
• International Call Block – This feature is used to prevent the international calls from being dialed from your VoIP phone.
• 3-Way Calling – It is much easier to connect three persons to a conference call.
• Call Forwarding – Using this feature, user can forward the call to any other number.
• Voicemail – This feature works like answering machine and records the message which you can listen to later.
There are also many features like toll-free number, 911 services, call waiting, FAX over IP, free VoIP, Instant Messaging etc.